In order to be successful in life, we need to be fully aware of our weaknesses as well as fully utilizing our personal abilities. This is where SWOT analysis is frequently used by companies. With personal SWOT analysis, it is possible to succeed in business and make a difference in career.
With SWOT analysis, a method that companies use quite often, we can personally identify our strengths and weaknesses. SWOT analysis is a very functional and frequently used technique by companies. What makes SWOT analysis so effective and useful is that it reveals details that we would not normally notice. We understand our weaknesses and anticipate hazards that can harm us. Thus, it is possible to take precautions against them.
How is SWOT analysis performed?
Below are some of the questions that can guide you to conduct a personal SWOT analysis. All you have to do is answer these questions sincerely.
- What distinguishes you from others? (Ability, certificate, etc.)
- Which area are you better than the others?
- Do you know where people around you (manager, colleague, etc.) think they are strong?
- What does a proud success mean to you?
- What are the values that distinguish you from others?
- Are you part of a group where no one else is involved?
- What kind of resources do you have personal access to?
Can you answer all these questions objectively from your own perspective and within the framework of the environment? If you have difficulty at this point, you can try to make a list of your personal characteristics.
A small hint: You can analyze your strong traits by thinking about the people around you. For example, if you’re a good mathematician and the people around you are good at math, you shouldn’t count your talent as one of your strong qualities. Because being a good mathematician is a talent that you already have in your position.
- What are you afraid to do because you don’t trust yourself?
- What do you think you’re weak about?
- Can you say that you can be completely confident about your education life and your skills?
- What are the points that you think are negative in the study method?
- Do you have any personal traits in your field that draw you back?
While answering these questions, you should consider your own perspective and the perspective of the environment. Do your surroundings see weak points that you don’t see in yourself? Do your colleagues constantly get ahead of important issues? We recommend that you be realistic in your answers. Because it might be the best way for you to face unpleasant facts as quickly as possible.
Create opportunity fields yourself
- What technological innovations can help you?
Is the sector you are working on an evolving sector? So how can you take advantage of this market?
- Do you have important contacts that can help you and make suggestions?
What trends (managerial, etc.) do you observe in your company and how can you benefit from them?
- Do your customers have a complaint about your company? If so, do you have a chance to create an opportunity by generating solutions?
- Is there an important point that colleagues missed or failed? If so, can you provide an added value to your personal development in these matters?
- Possible areas of opportunity that may be useful
- Organizations, trainings, conferences,
- Speaking in a new role or project, community,
Gaining experience by undertaking some of the existing projects,
Company growths and acquisitions
Now, by looking at its powerful features, you can see if these features provide you with an opportunity. You can also look at your weaknesses and try to determine how these weaknesses can cause dangers.
Threats or hazards
- What are the obstacles you face in your current job?
- Do you have colleagues who compete with you in terms of projects and responsibilities?
- Is the demand for the work or the work you do a change?
- Does changing technology pose a threat to your position?
- Are your weak traits a threat?
It is important to provide objective answers to these questions in order to analyze their strengths and weaknesses, opportunities and dangers well. Because it helps you focus on your strengths, minimize your weaknesses, and make the most of the opportunities around you. Swot analysis thus contributes significantly to career and personal development.