General Information About Graduate Study Abroad

General Information About Graduate Study Abroad
General Information About Graduate Study Abroad

Graduate Studies in USA

In the United States, approximately 1200 accredited educational institutions offer graduate study programs. One-third of them provide doctoral degrees. Most of the institutes offering doctoral programs are large public universities. Whether it’s public or private American institutes are autonomous and there is no difference between them in terms of quality. Almost every state provides financial support to at least two public universities.

So, selecting universities, completing application and registration procedures, applying for financial assistance and scholarship etc. usually takes at least 12 months.

Postgraduate study in the US is expensive

While living expenses range from $ 9,000 to $ 15,000. Annual tuition fees can be up to $ 24,000. Some institutes provide financial assistance to foreign students doing postgraduate studies. Most of them are more success-oriented than need-based. So, that only students with exceptional academic achievement can expect financial assistance. 49% of the graduate students receive their personal and family funding. And 36% of the foreign students receive assistance from US institutions.

Scholarships and other financial aids will not be sufficient to cover the total costs of learning in the United States. For this reason, you should find additional financial resources. There are no scholarship scholarships at the graduate level.

There is strict competition for entry to leading US graduate education institutions

The most distinguished graduate schools accept less than 20% of the applications. The work opportunities of foreign students are very limited and strictly regulated by the US Immigration and Naturalization Service. Before you get a student visa, you need to prove to the US consulate that you have sufficient financial resources to cover living expenses. So, the prospective income you hope to achieve by working is not considered as a viable financial resource to obtain a student visa. You must also allocate money for health insurance, tuition, accommodation, travel and living expenses.

At the end of graduate education, various degrees are taken

  • The most common ones are qualification in social sciences (MS)
  • Qualification in technical and scientific subjects (MS)
  • Business (MBA)
  • Fine arts (MFA)
  • Law (LLM)
  • Social work (MSW)
  • Qualification in education (EdS)
  • The most common degrees in doctorate are PhD (EDD)
  • Law (UD)
  • Science (DSc)
  • Religion and theology (DD)
  • In various fields (PhD)

Master students are usually eligible for postgraduate degrees after one or two years of study. The doctor is usually completed in five or seven years. If you start a doctoral program with a master’s degree. You can complete your doctoral degree in less time.

School Selection

When choosing a school, you should consider your area of interest. See also the size, geographical location of the school and whether they provide financial assistance to foreign students. You should pay attention to faculty, library, computer and laboratory facilities. You should consider the details and respectability of the programs.

Graduate Admission Requirements

Admission requirements are two types, institutional and departmental. The institutional conditions are determined by the school and applied to all students. Particularly, the departmental conditions, which are more specific than the corporate ones, determine the admission of the candidate to the subject area. Institutional terms include:

A four-year undergraduate study certificate: The schools you apply may also request transcripts.

Supporting reference and letters of recommendation: Two or three letters from the professor or lecturers may be required.

Application form / essay:

The result of an application may be the determining factor. The content may be in the form of a general and comprehensive personal presentation or specific answers to the questions raised by the school. Entrance test scores: It is possible to obtain the Registration and Information Bulletins from AAEF for all standard tests requested by the US universities. So, you can also provide test preparation material from the same location. Each university explains the test conditions;

The most common ones are:

(GRE – Graduate Record Exam): The General Test measures your verbal, numerical and analytical thinking skills over a long period of time. Subject Tests assess the success in a particular area of ​​learning.

(GMAT – Graduate Management Admission Test): This test is within a long period of time

It measures the oral, mathematical and analytical writing skills and is often asked to enter graduate management schools.

(TOEFL – Test of English as a Foreign Language): This test measures English proficiency of non-native English speakers.

Application procedures

The American academic year lasts from September to May. It is best to start your research at least 12 months (15 (16 months will be more accurate) than you expect when you start learning.

One year before registration


Research institutions in graduate programs in your area of interest. Review possible non-university financial aid opportunities. Even if the university that accepts you will be financially helpful, it will not be enough to cover all your expenses. 


It is possible to complete the application forms and to enter the entrance tests between September and December. You should send reference letters to the schools you choose. You can also try to find a scholarship by providing your original transcripts. Note the deadlines. These dates vary but are usually between December and March. The specified date is usually the last day on which applications and other documents are accepted. In many schools, the policy of rolling admission is applied. That is, applications are evaluated in order of receipt. The application deadline for such an admission process may be the beginning of April. However, the applications will be evaluated immediately, and their decisions will be announced in mid-November.

September to December

You will fill in the application forms between September and December, enter the entrance tests, provide the reference letters and original transcripts you will send to the schools you choose and try to find a scholarship. Note the deadlines. These dates vary but are usually between December and March. The specified date is usually the last day on which applications and other documents (including references) are accepted. In many schools, a policy of “rolling admission” is applied, i.e. applications are evaluated in the order of receipt. The application deadline for such an admission process may be the beginning of April, but the applications will be evaluated immediately, and the acceptance decisions will be made in mid-November.

Pay special attention to writing “statement of purpose” or essay when completing the application forms.

For most universities, they are an important part of the application. In the purpose paper, you will express the following:

Research and studies related to graduate program.

Your special interest in the university in question (you can add information about the university and the department).

Your personal, academic and professional goals related to your graduate studies.

Features that distinguish you from other candidates and other relevant information.

Registration Period

March to May

The offer includes the amount of financial assistance that the university has to offer you, if available. When you approve an admission proposal, you should report to other schools that offer you an acceptance that your response is negative.

June ‐ August

You can apply for a visa from the school you are attending, after you have received the document (1-20 form or IAP ‐ 66) indicating your acceptance. There are two types of student visas: F: 1 and J-1. The J-1 (exchange visitor) visa is issued only to students supported by the US government, an academic institution or another sponsoring organization. For example, students who earn the Fulbright scholarships are given a J-1 visa.

You will need the 1-20 form, which will be given by the school you are accepted to receive the F-1 student visa. Applicants for the F-1 visa must prove that they have full financial support. It is forbidden for you to work with us in the United States. F-1 visa regulations limit off-campus work. It is possible to work on the campus for up to 20 hours a week, in such a way that it does not prevent an American worker and his / her learning.

So, students can work as teaching or research assistants with both visas. These studies do not require prior approval by the Immigration and Naturalization Service, as they are considered an integral part of the learning program. Both visas offer practical training and work experience under certain conditions after completion of learning.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here